Monday, October 15, 2012


The Scorpion and I
by Glory Rhodes

I squat in the red earth of the caldera
To teach the children about the dangers of the scorpion
I have an arrangement with the spirits
The scorpion will not harm me
But protects me

I sing into the wind of the caldera
The scorpion cannot be held or contained or diverted
I claim endless bond with the scorpion
I will not harm the scorpion
But protect him

I call out to the golden bowl moon setting
The scorpion has unfailing fixidity of purpose
God alone is the foundation of life
The scorpion knows this truth well
Do not tempt him

I sleep beneath the caldera's starry nights
Holding the scorpion ever so close to my faithful heart
He does not sting but keeps me from evil
I find I love this scorpion
And always will


cc@HCBFsubmitted-9/29/2012

 


No comments:

Post a Comment